Jun 02

Ceton InfiniTV 4 Multi-Tuner CableCard

Tag: Computer Stuff,Technology/GagetryBush Mackel @ 6:38 am

Very recently I bought my wife a Hauppauge TV Tuner for mother’s day. I think we had talked about getting one before so we could downgrade our cable boxes from Verizon FIOS’ HD DVRs to their regular HD boxes, but admittedly when we got the tuner we didn’t even have cable.

That didn’t stop us from using it however and we installed it in a Windows 7 box using just a regular OTA antennae. And even though we didn’t end up recording too much with it (what’s their to record on regular TV anyway), we were blown away about how cool Windows Media Center is when it has a tuner to play with.

If you’re a home theater buff like myself, you will really marvel at how sleek, elegant and functional Windows Media Center is… Especially if it’s your first TV Tuner/Media solution.

Return of the Cable
So fast forward a couple months and cable has once again returned to our house along with its huge bill for renting their cable boxes. And if have cable and don’t think it’s a racket – YOU IZ CRAZY. I mean, I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but a Verizon FIOS HD DVR is probably something like $13/mo and a regular box has to be about $7 so every month I’m spending $20 extra to “rent” their equipment which I absolutely need to watch their programming! Again, it’s a racket.

And because of this I started looking for CableCard tuners. I heard about them a while ago through the AVS Forum but now doing some serious research, I was amazed to find that as much as these were lauded over, basically only 1 really exists in the ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner and you can’t find them anywhere except on eBay and then only if you’re lucky. I swear you can’t even buy them from ATI’s website! (And let’s not forget they usually sell for north of $200 too).

Enter the Ceton InfiniTV 4 Multi-Tuner CableCard
So if you haven’t heard, some company called Ceton has made a new card that looks like it’ll blow the ATI one out of the water. The Ceton InfiniTV 4 accepts one CableCard, allows you to view or record 4 channels at once, and view these programs all around your house! Do you realize how cool that is? So instead of me paying the $20 a month I am now, I can just do the Verizon FIOS CableCard rental of of a few bucks PLUS I can watch the programming on more TVs without having to pay any more to the man!

Ceton Infinity 4 Multi-Tuner CableCard

Now admittedly the card has a “high” price tag of $399 but I figure I’d make that up quick if I’m distributing the programming to 3 TVs like I’m going to. The only real problem now for me is that Ceton has delayed shipping the card (I think I heard because of a parts shortage) meaning that I’m going to have to hang in here with my high cable bill for a little while longer. But in any event I’m still way excited about it. Anything that helps me bring media into the house and reduce my monthly bill gets two thumbs up in my book.

9 thoughts on “Ceton InfiniTV 4 Multi-Tuner CableCard

1. Nick says:

Definitely let us know how well this works out. It sounds like a great alternative.

2. GadgetBoy says:

I pre-ordered one last month – was pretty disappointed when the postponed delivery again. Now they are using the term “mid year”… Does that mean July 1? I hope so!

I upgraded my media PC with the hopes of getting one of these tuners. No way I am buying individual tuners for this box!

3. DXEndar says:

I’ve been looking for an alternative to cable. I’m going to change jobs soon and probably going to have to take a pay cut (at least at first). This means dropping everything except the bare bone necessities for a while. I LOVE my DVR . . . but I don’t NEED it. I’m definitely looking into this to save some $$$$$$ !

4. Jeremy says:

I ordered one myself, I hope it ships soon. I have the whole house hard wired and set up with 3 xbox’s to use as media extenders. I can’t wait for these cards to ship, I figure I will make up the price difference within a year since I used to rent 3 HD/DVR’s.

5. Bush Mackel says:

@Nick – If they ever ship, will do. (#):)

@GadgetBoy – I feel ya on all counts. I wish they would ship already so we can really see how they perform!

@DXEndar – Well I’ll certainly let you know either on here or Twitter!

@Jeremy – 3 XBox’s? Wowsers. I’m wondering though if that’s what I’m gonna have to do since I’ll try and hook up three different tvs on three different levels in my house.

6. Ryan says:

There are several options for Media Extenders… None of them that great. If you get the Xbox 360, you can play games too, but no built in wireless. Western Digital has no built in wireless either, requires ubs wireless device. Make sure you check the compatibility with WD before buying the USB device. The Linksys are nice with built in wireless N, but the remote sucks (think Logitech Harmony). If you have wired, best bang for the buck Xbox Arcade, best wireless for the buck DMA2200 because the DVD player upconverts to 1080P.

Xbox 360 Arcade $149.99 at any major store that sells Xbox
    Xbox 360 Refurb $119.99 at EBGames.com / Gamestop.com
    Linksys DMA2100 Wireless Media Extender $149.99 from Linksys.com
    Linksys DMA2200 Wireless Media Extender $199.99 from Linksys.com
    Western Digital WD TV Live $119.99 Best Buy / Newegg.com

7. Bush Mackel says:

@Ryan – Look at Ryan breaking it down! Yeah, I think you might be onto something with the Arcade version of the 360… Not saying that is the way that I’m going to go but I think it’s a def possibility esp since I’m all wired up. And if I can add to what you’re saying, it’s good to check out eBay too because you can almost always find good deals on 360s there, you often get some games, and you can often get some Bing cashback too!

8. iphonefamily says:

Nice to know this tuner is coming down in prices. I’m considering adding this to my HTPC.

9. wbCapital says:

Beautifull looking Card, cant wait for the review.

Comments are closed.