Jan 30

It Finally Came

Tag: Site Monetization,Site NewsBush Mackel @ 11:58 am

Yesterday was a big day for me.

I was offered a new job yesterday (that I’m very excited to accept), I got two cavities filled (I’m not sure where those came from) and I got two special items in the mail.

The first was a package sitting on top of one of the cars in the driveway – A late XMas present from my brother-in-law and girlfriend, a mechanical icing bag. You know – So I can make some awesome looking cakes! (Yes I like to bake, WHAT OF IT?)

The second item was this…

That’s right, I finally did it. My first AdSense check came. It only took me about a year to earn it but I really couldn’t be happier. It’s funny too – I told my family and they couldn’t care less. I guess this kind of stuff just doesn’t mean a lot to some people but it means a lot to me ’cause I really work hard at all this stuff. Sure, I don’t know how much of a victory a $100 check is once a year but we all gotta start somewhere so I’m putting this one up in the W column. (#):)

So look – If you’re struggling to get your first check, just keep at it. Keep trying, keep learning, and if you stick with it, you’ll make it.

29 thoughts on “It Finally Came

1. Pete says:

Hey hey nice work buddy, good to see someone else is having a good day today :) Can you tell us more about the job??

2. teeni says:

Wow. Congratulations on the job! I’d love to see some of your cake decorating skills – I have none in that area. And congratulations again on your Adsense check. It must feel good to finally have reached that milestone. :) Hope good things just keep coming your way!

3. Bush Mackel says:

@Pete – Well professionally, my career has turned more towards Flash development (though you’d never know it from reading this site). So the company I’ll be working for does a lot of interactive work for public places like museums and such (think interactive kiosks in kiosks). They do a lot of other stuff too which is why I’m so excited.

I always like to work with creative people, and unlike my last job, I think this one will actually give me stuff to do – And interesting stuff at that!

@Teeni – You know, I think I told Opal that’d I put something up during the holidays since I’d obviously be doing a lot of baking. But as it turned out, I did a lot more EATING than taking pictures. (#):)

I just came back from the store w/ some cake mix (I somehow ran out) so maybe I could try and get something up this weekend. And thanks for all the warm wishes! I’m really hoping my next AdSense check will get here earlier than Jan 2009. (#);)

4. Pete says:

That sounds like a cool new gig to me, nice work!

5. Mike says:

Congrats on the new gig and the check, buddy! I’ve still got about 70 bucks to go with Adsense..lol.

6. Tish says:

Congratulations, Bush! I just signed up with Adsense at the beginning of December, so I’m finishing up my second month. I have about $20 so far! Yippee!

Speaking of that, I’m up to $160 in online income this month! :) Of course, I’m afraid to tally up how many hours that required, but hey – I love to blog, so it’s okay.

And I know what you mean about your family not caring. I always talk about my blog to my family members and friends, and their eyes glaze over. hehe.

I’m proud of you though!

7. Casey says:

Congrats Bush! I’m happy for ya! Mine isn’t anywhere near, but my daily earnings on adsense are increasing day by day as I add more sites to my collection. :)

8. Way to go, Bush. I’m so happy for you. I’m less than $10 away from my first payout, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

And as for the whole cake baking thing, I think that’s cool too. I watch alot of those cooking shows and most of the best bakers in the world are men.

Congrats on everything. Keep it up!!!!

9. Kyle Eslick says:

Good for you! It took awhile for me to get my first check (5 months I think), but after that they start coming more often. Keep up the good work!

10. Bush Mackel says:

@Mike – Well if it’s any consolation, this AdSense check is NOT from this blog, but my other site, Learn Stuff Online. I still have QUITE a ways to go with AdSense on this site myself. (#):)

@Tish – Thanks for the support Tish and big ups to you with all the success you’re enjoying this month. I know you’ve recently made the decision to “get serious” with your site, and it looks like it’s paying off!

@Casey – My partner in crime! (#):) Thanks for the words and letting me guest on your site last week!

@Christine – Less than $10!?!? WOW! So your check is right around the corner too! One thing to note though (I don’t know if you know or not) but depending on when you make your $100, it can take a minute.

And when you get your $100, I may have to bake YOU something. (#):D

@Kyle – Thanks man, I’m really hoping that after I do some serious work on my other site, I can get them coming in MUCH more regularly. *nod*

11. Peg McMahan says:

Hey Bush! Congrats on the new job, that didn’t take long at all! Hopefully this new job will keep you more engaged than the last. Also congrats on the Adsense check! These accomplishments are definitely worthy of a cake. Mmm, cake .

12. Bush Mackel says:

@Peg – Thanks a lot and I’m sure it will. I’ll give you all the juicy details over IM when I have a sec. (#):) Oh, and I would bring a cake in to you guys but they took away my badge. (Though all the doors are usually open anyway)

13. Congrats buddy. Even my first check took a year to arrive but things have been better after that . Best of luck for the future .

14. Bush Mackel says:

@Madhur – Good to know I’m not alone. (#):)

15. Well that’s good news! Congrats on the job and the adsense check. :-)

16. apexad says:

Congratulations on the adsense check! The first one is the hardest to get. It took me a year to reach $100 as well.

It’s been 6 months and I’m at $80 already. I’ll probably get my second check in 7-8 months. I am sure that with your success with this blog and other sites will cause the same thing to happen for you until the point when your getting an adsense check every month, then all that happens is the amount increases. Those will be the days. You won’t need to find jobs like the one you did, but on that note…

Congratulations on the new job! I hope the company is everything you’re hoping for and more. I’ve actually been at my new and first real job since college for a little more than a month now, and I’m still enjoying it. I hope the same happens with you.

17. Bush Mackel says:

@Opal T – Thanks Opal. I know you know how much these things mean. (#):)

@Apexad – Thanks for the warm wishes on the job front and the encouragement on the AdSense tip. I’ve been working hard on another site, and I’m hoping once ppl start finding it that my AdSense $$ will be greatly improved. More to come on that later!

18. Vegan Momma says:

I definitely do. I received a similar reaction when I received my first check. I received the blank stares and the “Huh, what’s that?” Of course, they had no clue its significance. Even after explaining they still didn’t get it. :-)

19. Aaron Cook says:

Congrats man! I remember when I got my first one. It was for about the same amount and took about the same amount of time. :P

Which gets me thinking about how lame Google’s policy is on that. The minimum payout threshold should be at $50, not $100, IMHO. I’m glad other programs don’t hoard the money that way. :P

20. Bush Mackel says:

@Aaron – Hm. You know, I had never thought of the payout thing until now… Hmph. Now you really got me thinking. If it was lower, I think you’d probably have a lot more ppl sticking with it..I guess if it’s higher, you probably don’t have to pay a lot of people who never make it to that payout. (My two cents)

21. Bobby Revell says:

The way I see it, you paid for your hosting for the year and get to run a professional, self-hosted site for free!

I filled out the request for reconsideration form at Google webmaster tools, pleading my case for having a page rank 0, and not a single paid post of any kind.

They told me that I had used the reconsideration form incorrectly; it’s not for this particular situation, it’s only for those banned from Google.

They directed to a forum (which they explicitly stated, they do not read nor reply to). They asked me to politely not bother them with such complaints as they will ignore them.

I suppose by asking for help, they have dismissed me as insignificant. The public needs a search engine based on democracy and transparency. Then again, Google’s owners are hardcore, right wing republicans in favor of absolute corporate totalitarianism.

Aside from my rant…congratulations on your first check!

22. Mark says:

Hey buddy, congratulations on the Google check!! Woo-hoo! I don’t remember exactly when I started using Adsense, but it was early last year. I’m about half way there.

And that’s cool that you like to bake, too. I do as well. Check it out.

23. Brown Baron says:

Yep, getting that check is a victory and sign of things to come. Way to go buddy.

24. Bush Mackel says:

@Bobby – Ha ha, thanks for the congrats and sorry to hear about your misfortune. But hey, maybe if that whole M$/Yahoo merger goes through, we’ll all be seeing some good stuff come our ways from search engine land. Personally I doubt it, but we’ll see. (#):)

@Mark – …Woah. Now I have something to shoot for now that I have fancy schmanzy icing too. … I’m still amazed at that image. You have me beat hands down.

…For now. (#):)

@Brown – Thanks man I appreciate it. I’m sure the way things are going for you, you’re probably seeing a check every month! ha ha

25. Kali says:

Ah yes, that is a great feeling. My husband, with a government job, acts like its no big deal when my Adsense payments come in, but I get all excited like it’s just money falling from the sky or something.

I just wish all my sites were doing as well as the one which is earning me all the money.

26. Bush Mackel says:

@Kali – You know there new buddy that if you ever wish to disclose your blog earnings, I’ll put them up here w/ a handy dandy link to the site too. (#):)

27. Shashank says:

Congrats on getting your first check..it feels great to see your first adsense check ..its a bit exciting isn’t.

well looks like you are undermonitizing your site..just add the rectangular best performing adsense unit and then notice the difference…the adsense units you are using aren’t going to do any good for you.

28. Bush Mackel says:

@Shashank – Thanks for the encouragement and tips on the AdSense units! Up until recently, I did have the 300×250 AdSense block, but that was bought by a private advertiser. I haven’t quite figured out what I’m going to do with the rest at this point.

Comments are closed.